In his book, Let the Nations Be Glad, John Piper captures the perspective of Sylvania Church regarding missions:
Missions is not the ultimate goal of the church. Worship is. Missions exists because worship doesn’t. Worship is ultimate, not missions, because God is ultimate, not man. When this age is over, and the countless millions of the redeemed fall on their faces before the throne of God, missions will be no more. It is a temporary necessity. But worship abides forever. Worship, therefore, is the fuel and goal in missions.
Worship is both the fuel and goal of our desire for the nations to be glad in the gospel of Jesus. The following are the global missions connections of Sylvania Church. As you read through the list, will you ask yourself, “How can I partner with Sylvania in these?” and/or, “How could Sylvania partner with me in reaching a corner of the world that is not yet on this list?”
Global Missions Partners.
- Bible Training Centre for Pastors (an organization that produces the material used for training in foreign countries)
- Campus Crusade (Jesus Film) (Film used to share the gospel in extensive national and international settings)
- Samaritan’s Purse (Famine Relief)
- Nathaniel Adawonu, New Harvest Missions International (Church Planting/Training in West Africa)
- Asian Partners (Training and church planting in Asia, with a specific focus on reaching India)
- Roger and Phyllis Conaway (Working primarily with college students in Mexico)
- Juval Galera/Philippines (An opportunity for extensive pastor training among the churches in the Philippines)
- Chad and Serina Hollowell, Hungary, Europe, United World Mission (A ministry focused on church planting that allows Sylvania the opportunity to have on the field access to over a dozen countries in Europe)
- Dave Roberson, Caribbean Music Foundation (Training music leaders for the church in the Caribbean)
- Middle East Ministry (Name and specifics left unprinted for security purposes) (Aid and support to the persecuted church in the most closed-off regions of the Middle East)
- To Every Tribe (An effort to plant churches among unreached peoples)