Oasis Students & Families and College & Career Folks,
Do you ever think about what really happened on the cross of Christ?
- Was God mainly setting an example of love and sacrifice for us to follow?
- Was God buying back from Satan the sinners He had lost (i.e., the picture portrayed in The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe)?
- Was Jesus dying as our substitute sacrifice? If so, how can that be? Is it just to allow an innocent person to be punished for a guilty person? Is such punishment consistent with the loving, forgiving God of the Bible?
What does the Bible really say about the cross of Christ?
In addition to questioning what happened on the cross, perhaps the bigger questions are:
- “Why does the cross even matter?”, and
- “How must the cross affect the way I live my life now?”
I hope you’ll join us at Secret Church at Sylvania Church on Friday, November 18th from 8pm-Midnight to explore what made Horatio Spafford pen the following words in 1873 after losing his children in a ship wreck:
“My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
Please RSVP by emailing Chad. See you soon!
P.S. The tentative schedule is below:
- 8:00pm – Mingle, grab a drink and/or snack, and distribute handouts (if you choose to use them)
- 8:10pm – Why Was Jesus Born? An Introduction to Substitutionary Atonement & A Defense of It Against Critiques & Alternate Theories – Chad Barnes
- 8:50pm – Break
- 8:55pm – Substitutionary Atonement: Established by the Father (Old Testament Narratives & Prophets) – Kevin Rhyne
- 9:40pm – Break
- 9:50pm – Substitutionary Atonement: Expressed by the Son (Psalms) – Jes Moore
- 10:35pm – Break
- 10:45pm – Substitutionary Atonement: Executed by the Son (New Testament) – Jacob Shulenberger
- 11:30pm – Break
- 11:40pm – Substitutionary Atonement: Extolled by the Spirit and the People of God – Chad Barnes
- 12:00am – Dismiss